Tuesday 17 March 2015

Book Review: Falling from the Sky

Falling From the Sky 

Author: Sarina Bowen

Publisher: Rennie Road Books

Genre: Romance

Series: Gravity

Synopsis: Hank "Hazardous" has had his whole world turned upside down. An injury has left this previous elite athlete in a wheelchair.

Callie has plans and goals. However she is also a very lonely workaholic.

Can these two people heal each other?


Thoughts: Most of this book takes place roughly the same time as Shooting for the Stars. Shooting for the Stars begins 24 hours before the events of this book, and ends about a year an a half after this one and many of the characters overlap (Hank is Stella's older brother). However, the books can be read as stand alones.

I felt a certain kinship with Callie. I too am a planner. I like things being predictable. And like her I don't really have any experience of downhill skiing or snowboarding (I've stood on downhill skis three times and I've skied into a tree twice, I do however love watching downhill skiing and snowboarding). I think this affinity was what really drew me in.

I also liked how Callie tells Hank how his reaction affected her. We rarely seem to talk about how actions that are really not about you can affect you. The reader knows that Hank's seeming rejection of Callie isn't about her, but for Callie, even when she finds out otherwise, it is about her, because of what has happened to her.

The relationships in this book were very satisfying. They felt grown-up but still filled with the angst that apparently we don't get away from even when we leave our teen years behind. The characters were real and often quite funny (loved Tiny). And the reactions also felt believable and real.

Copyright ©2015 Zee from A Tea Stained Page. This post was originally posted by Zee from A Tea Stained Page. It should not be reproduced without express written permission

No comments:

Post a Comment