Monday 16 March 2015

Book Review: Shooting for the Stars

Shooting For the Stars

Author: Sarina Bowen

Publisher: Rennie Road Books

Genre: Romance

Series: Gravity

Synopsis: Bear has been Stella's favourite person for a very long time. Why can't he see her as anything other than a little sister?

Bear loves his best friends little sister, but with out real prospects he doesn't believe he has any right to make a move on her. 

Thoughts: I loved loved loved this book. It was funny, it was sweet, it made me cry. It was a perfect romance book.

One of the things I liked about this book was that it was about friendships as much as it was about romantic love. Bear and Stella have always been friends, as have Bear and Hank. But it is also about the friendships we THINK we make with those with whom we spend our days, and how when our days change it becomes clear that they aren't necessarily our friends. Not that they are bad people, it is just that your lives are no longer similar and it was that one thing that held you together. However, it also shows who your true friends are and what makes them true friends. I loved this quote:

Hank put a hand on his shoulder. "Not nearly as good as you've been to me. I don't think I would have made it through the last year and a half without you. Felt like the whole world forgot about me. But not you, man. You kept showing up. So I kept getting out of bed in the morning and putting a brave face on it. Because I knew I was going to hear your tires in my driveway eventually, and you'd knock on the door and hold me accountable. That's all that kept me going for a while, until I got over the hump. Maybe I should have said this before, okay. But I notice that shit. Thank you."
I think this quote resonated with me as I went through a major depression when I was in my mid-twenties. I had two groups of friends who simply DID NOT give up on me. In some respects I owe them my life. They also kept showing up, although in most cases virtually, but still. And they expected me to show up. I think this shows how important it is to not give up on friends even when they pull away.

One of the things that is hardest about being an adult is that life does not always turn out the way you dreamed or planned for. Bear and Stella keep saying that they aren't planners, but I disagree with them. They might not have the five year plan of Callie but what they have is dreams. They dream of the snow. They dream of the next trick, the most awesome slope, that big win. And like most of us they realise that those dreams might not come true, but that sometimes you have to modify your dream. Bear modifies his dream and discovers that it is better than his original dream.

There is of course a romantic story to this and I found it very satisfying. I liked that they had so much history together, it added a nice dimension to their interaction. It also added to the tension in the novel because if things didn't work out (which of course they would but still...) they would lose both a friend and the person they loved.

Highly recommend this book.

Out today!

Disclaimer: I received this book as an ARC from the author, however the thoughts are all my own, and the love is real.


Copyright ©2015 Zee from A Tea Stained Page. This post was originally posted by Zee from A Tea Stained Page. It should not be reproduced without express written permission

No comments:

Post a Comment