Monday 27 July 2015

Book Review: HIM by Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy

HIM

Authors: Sarina Bowen & Elle Kennedy

Publisher: Rennie Road Books

Genre: M/M Romance

Synopsis: They don’t play for the same team. Or do they?
Jamie Canning has never been able to figure out how he lost his closest friend. Four years ago, his tattooed, wise-cracking, rule-breaking roommate cut him off without an explanation. So what if things got a little weird on the last night of hockey camp the summer they were eighteen? It was just a little drunken foolishness. Nobody died.
Ryan Wesley’s biggest regret is coaxing his very straight friend into a bet that pushed the boundaries of their relationship. Now, with their college teams set to face off at the national championship, he’ll finally get a chance to apologize. But all it takes is one look at his longtime crush, and the ache is stronger than ever.
Jamie has waited a long time for answers, but walks away with only more questionscan one night of sex ruin a friendship? If not, how about six more weeks of it? When Wesley turns up to coach alongside Jamie for one more hot summer at camp, Jamie has a few things to discover about his old friend...and a big one to learn about himself.
Warning: contains sexual situations, skinnydipping, shenanigans in an SUV and proof that coming out to your family on social media is a dicey proposition.
From Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy


My Thoughts: Happiness. If anyone asked me to describe HIM with one word that would be it. I finished reading it at 2am and let out a satisfied, happy sigh and dried my eyes and fell asleep happy. Jamie and Wes made me happy. Even when I wanted to whack them over the head because they were being very boy they made me happy. They were real.

I connected the most with Jamie for two different reasons, one he is generally a rule follower. He wants to do his best and he generally prefers to do this by the book. However, he is A LOT more laid back than me. There are also some choices that Jamie has to make that I really connected with but I think writing about that would spoil to much of the book so I won't tell you what his choices are.  So, although Jamie is more like my brother in being laid back, there were aspects of his journey that I really connected with and enjoyed.

Although I connected more with Jamie, Wes was also a really good character. He had a naughty streak that appealed to me even though I am a rule follower. I sometimes wish I was more like Wes. I also felt very sorry for him at times. He was a bit to much in his head and his asshole of a dad...well it made me want to take care of him. Also how can you not like someone who likes purple Skittles, they are the best. 


There is sex in it. And it is HAWT let me tell you. There is skinny dipping and naked boys. And...drool :D

HIM didn't just make me happy because the characters made me happy but it also made me happy because it was HILARIOUS at times. The kind of funny that makes you laugh out loud even on public transportation. For example, as someone who spends her days with teenagers this tickled my funny bone:

They're headstrong and irrational. They listen to what I say, and then they go do the opposite.
They're teenagers. And after ten minutes of play I'm basically beating my head against the plexi, praying for my own death.
"Pat," I beg. "Please tell me I wasn't like this." 
"You weren't," he says with a shake of his head. "You were three times worse." Then that traitor has the balls to exit the building, leaving me in charge of thirty sweating hormone-crazed teenage hockey punks.

I do want to tell Wes though that he hasn't really suffered until you add girls to that mix, but he is having a difficult enough time, snicker.


As funny as this book is there is also some angst. I mean it is hard to write a book in the romance genre and not have any angst. Add to it that the main characters are in their twenties and still trying to find their way in life (hey, I'm in my thirties and still trying to figure things out so...) and the angst ramps up some. However, this book has a zero Kleenex box rating and only gets a one and a half smack up the head rating. So a fairly low angst level her. Mostly it is a cozy, funny book that I would recommend as a feel good book.

I recieved HIM as an ARC, the love however is completely genuine. The book is due out July 28th. Ordering links in this post

Copyright ©2015 Zee from A Tea Stained Page. This post was originally posted by Zee from A Tea Stained Page. It should not be reproduced without express written permission

No comments:

Post a Comment